Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Thanks for noticing

I'm holding in my hands a flier from a home-improvement company called "Worth-In-Ex Corp." It reads, in part:

To Whom It May Concern:

If you are reading this, you are probably contemplating some form of significant home maintenance or improvement project -- typically not an inexpensive or pleasant process.

Where did I get this flier? I found it stuck under the welcome mat outside my front door. Which means someone from Worth-In-Ex was in the neighborhood, saw my house, and concluded that it was in need of "significant maintenance or improvement." Or, better yet, concluded that by leaving such a flier, Worth-In-Ex could make me sufficiently ill-at-ease about my house to call them.

Well, joke's on them. It's a rental! And it isn't in bad shape, either.

Attached to the flier is a letter of reference and recommendation from some presumably satisfied Worth-In-Ex customers. What I want to know is: How would "Bob and Lori Erickson" of Clive feel if they knew that the letter they so graciously agreed to write for Worth-In-Ex was in fact being used to spam their neighbors?

No comments: